Monday, July 25, 2011

Team Natural Hair

Hey Loves,


So I've been on my natural hair journey for over a year now. I must say, this has been a rollercoaster ride. I've definitely had my fair share of ups and downs, but I'm very happy with the results I have thus far. My main reason for going natural was the damaging effects to my hair after relaxing. I had so much breakage it was unreal. In my younger years my hair was always beautiful. It did whatever I wanted it to do, but once I got pregnant with my daughter my hair changed. It grew very long, but it was very thin and brittle. I relaxed it a few months after having my daughter and things seemed to be alright then all of a sudden it began to shed alot. It went from shedding to long strands of hair falling out. I had long hair with spots of very short hair throughout. I tried every hair strenthener and anti-breakage product out to try to get my hair back to it's normal condition to no avail.

I made the decision to go natural about three years ago. I went out and bought new hair products and a new flat iron. Whatever I thought I might need for this transition I had it. The one thing I failed to do was research...research...research. I went about nine months before I relapsed back to the "creamy crack". I start in the beginning of the year, things were going good.
A year ago today, I decided to try it again. I did alot of research...reading blogs, magazines, speaking with hair stylist, looking at different products, watching youtube videos whatever it took to educate myself. I didn't do the "Big Chop". I could never muster up enough nerve, but I did trim a few inches off of my relaxed hair monthly. I developed a regimen and I stuck with it. I suffer from very dry scalp, so alot of the products I use have emphasis on moisture. Right now the products I use are as follows:

**L'Oreal Sulfate Free Ever Strong Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner-It gently cleanses and leaves my hair feeling clean without over drying.

**T-Gel Shampoo-To help reduce flakes and buildup, also to help with itching.

**Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Smoothie-Used as a deep conditioner to help detangle and  moisturize hair.

**Sulfur 8 Fresh Hair and Scalp Conditioner-helps strengthen hair and also helps reduce dry scalp.

**Garnier Fructis Frizz Ease- Helps ease the frizz due to humidity (great for the summer).

**Carol's Daughter Hair Milk-Used as a daily moisturizer/ hair conditioner. I normally apply this before going to bed.

The products listed are good, geared more towards natural hair. I recently purchased shampoo and conditioner from a line called Shea Moisture. I've read a lot of good reviews and I'm very happy with the results. It left my hair feeling very clean, it was also very soft and alot more manageable. I'll definitely be adding them to my list.

I'm all about Team Natural...I look forward to the day when I'm completely natural. Maybe then I'll be over my HIH (Hand in Hair) stage.

Thanks for reading...see you soon!!  Smooches!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment